Day 17: Do You Have Computer ADD?
17. No turning on the computer for a quick email check or to do 1 little thing until you’ve gotten “ready for work” as mentioned above. The nuance is if you have nowhere to be, that 1 little thing leads to showering at 2 in the afternoon with a splitting headache because you’ve forgotten to eat etc.
I have just reached beyond the half way point of my 30 day blog challenge and I would have to say today’s tip is my personal hardest. On a scale from one to ten, I give it a fifteen.
Doing one little thing involves the computer and while I am sitting at the computer, why not check the e-mail. I do this all the time. I feel chained to the computer because 99% of my communication with the outside world is through, e-mail, Facebook, Linkedin, my web page, twitter, and the blog. I know, I know, I need to get out more! Yes, I do meet with people face to face, but that involves setting arrangement via the computer!
When my husband comes home from work, he wants me to be done with my work. I see his point, but I don’t always know when he is coming home and I have learned that if I don’t keep busy, when he comes home late it drives me up the wall. I do try to finish as he is walking in and I have been trying to not check e-mail at all after 6:00pm. Crazy as it sounds, I like spending time with my husband.
But that computer still calls to me…..
1. Set a time to end the day. Try you hardest to meet that time every day.
2. If you think of something to check on the computer write it down. It can wait until tomorrow. Don’t let computer ADD take over. (I think this is my problem.)
3. If you have an office close the door, if the computer is in the corner of the room or on the kitchen table, turn it off.
4. Don’t check it before you go to bed! This is the worst thing you can do! If there is a problem, it will haunt your dreams. It can wait until tomorrow.
5. If at first you don’t success, try try again. Don’t beat yourself up about it. That won’t do you any good, just try again tomorrow.
All of this being said, I have to practice what I preach. I’m working on it.
Day 17 of what? Check out my post “30 Day Challenge” http://wp.me/pUygC-C to read the answer.
Photo courtesy of www.freedigitalphotos.net, Admin
Before you go, please take our one question survey!
Click here to take survey